Books & Literature
This is a list of books you should definitely read.
- The Art of Game Design: A Book of Lenses, Second Edition – Amazing book, must read! Provides lenses to look at your game through lots of different perspectives and make it much better as a result.
- David Perry on Game Design: A Brainstorming ToolBox – Great for coming up with ideas. Contains a checklist of things that your game should satisfy. See http://thelegendofjohnny.com/tutorials/high-concept for more info.
- Game Development Essentials: An Introduction – A high level introduction to games development. This series of books contains lots more books focused on specific topics such as project management, stories and characters, interfaces etc.
- Game Coding Complete, Fourth Edition – A deeper look at the coding part of games.
- Game Engine Architecture, Second Edition – Interesting read for everyone who wants to understand the vast depths of game engines.
- Fundamentals of Game Design (3rd Edition)
- Essential Mathematics for Games and Interactive Applications, Third Edition – Must-read for everyone wanting to code serious 3D games.
- http://ithare.com/programming-guide-for-video-gamers/ – An interesting collection of articles that cover many introductory topics in the field of Game Development. (Thanks Dylan & Tracy for the suggestion!)
- More articles coming soon
Tutorials & Documentation
- http://unity3d.com/learn – Basic Unity tutorials
- http://www.essentialmath.com/tutorial.htm – Amazing presentations and resources regarding 3D math.
- Game Maker’s Toolkit – Well processed topics regarding game design
- GDC – Important source of game dev talks
- Extra Credits – Lots of videos about certain game design topics. Very interesting. You could spend months just watching everything there. Also includes videos about history.
- TvorimeHry – Official channel of SGDA with interesting videos from Slovakia
Game Dev Communities
- http://www.gamasutra.com/ – International portal for Game Devs.
- http://www.gamedev.net/ – International portal for Game Devs with priceless discussion forums.
- http://sgda.sk/ – Official site of the Slovak Game Developers Association
- https://www.facebook.com/svkgda/ – SGDA facebook page
- http://gamestudies.cz/ – Czech organization helping in education in Game Development throughout CZ and SK
- http://www.ceske-hry.cz/ – Czech community of game developers. Includes GameDev forums
- Unity – http://unity3d.com/ – FREE leading mobile and indie game engine.
- Unreal Engine – https://www.unrealengine.com/ – FREE popular game engine, but you must pay 5% royalties.
- Godot – https://godotengine.org/
- GameMaker – https://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker
- CryEngine – http://cryengine.com/ – AAA engine, most known for Far Cry and Crysis.